What Can $500 or $5,000 Buy for the Homeless?
The Victoria Cool Aid Society’s mandate is to provide supported housing, holistic shelter, community health and dental services and other support to marginalized adults in the capital region area. Every year Cool Aid provides thousands of adults who are homeless and impoverished with emergency shelter beds, hot meals, health care and dental services. We also manage 257 housing units of supported housing, assisting some of the most vulnerable people in our community to maintain a home of their own.
It costs a lot of money— about $11.0 million in 2007 – but in the end, it saves taxpayer dollars. What could your donation do or contribute towards?
Just $500 Can…
- Provide a hot meal for 275 homeless adults at Streetlink Emergency Shelter.
- Shelter and feed six women for one day at Sandy Merriman House, and provide them with health care, counselling and other special services for the homeless, the battered, and women leaving the sex trade.
- Print 2,000 emergency services cards with phone numbers, addresses and the hours when service providers can help.
- Buy 200 pairs of warm socks for distribution at our shelters and Downtown Health Centre. Homeless people suffer from many foot diseases and discomforts, and a good pair of socks can make a big difference.
- Provide 250 toothbrushes or 300 tubes of toothpaste through our Dental Clinic.
- Pay for 570 bus tickets, which is a great deal, because Cool Aid gets them for half price. Bus tickets help the homeless and poor get to jobs, job interviews, medical appointments, groceries and other transportation needs.
- Provide 180 “meal-replacement” drinks to the homeless, which are delicious and full of vitamins and minerals, and help many homeless people who suffer from low nutrition.
- Provide a wheelchair for one of our buildings.
In other words, $500 can go a long ways towards helping end homeless. Every dollar counts.
What Could A $5,000 Contribution Buy?
Cool Aid’s mandate is to provide housing, community health and emergency shelter services to marginalized adults in the Victoria area. Every year Cool Aid provides thousands of homeless and impoverished adults with shelter beds, hot meals, health care and dental services. We manage 257 housing units of supported housing, assisting some of the most vulnerable people in our community to maintain a home of their own. We also provide life and job skills training.
It all costs a lot of money— about $11 million this year. What could your $5,000 donation do to help people today?
Your $5,000 Gift Can Make A Big Difference:
- $5,000 will buy construction boots and bus tickets to enable 60 unemployed persons to accept construction jobs.
- Provide high-quality knapsacks for 100 homeless persons.
- Provide 400 hot, nutritious meals every day for a whole week at our Streetlink and Sandy Merriman House emergency shelters.
- Buy 25 bicycles for marginalized Victorians.
- Purchase 2,000 pairs of nice, warm socks for distribution at our shelters and Downtown Community Health Centre. Homeless people suffer from many foot diseases and discomforts, and a good pair of socks can make a big difference.
- Pay the salary and benefits for a street outreach nurse for one month.
In other words, $5,000 can help make a big difference in people’s lives today. If you would like your donation to be spent on one of these items, or if you have another idea, let us know how you would like your contribution to be spent.