Homelessness Action Week Events: Oct 10 – 22, 2009
Shaw Channel 11 will be airing the Cool Aid documentary at the following times:
- Sat., Oct. 17th at 10 PM
- Sunday, Oct. 18th at 9 AM
- Sunday, Oct. 18th at 11 AM
- Sunday, Oct. 18th at 5:30 PM
- Sunday, Oct. 18th at 11 PM
- Tuesday, Oct. 20th at 3 PM
- Thursday, Oct. 22nd at 9:30 PM
Project Connect*, Oct. 14, Our Place, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. – We’re anticipating 600 or more people will attend this service fair for people living homeless and in extreme poverty. The day brings a wide variety of service providers into the same room to offer some two dozen services ranging from haircuts and bike repairs, to nursing care and blood-sugar testing.
Student forum*, Oct. 15, Downtown Community Activity Centre – Leadership students from throughout the region will join facilitator Jody Paterson in exploring the issues of homelessness and poverty with five local people who have experienced homelessness.
40 Years of Cool Aid Culture film premiere, Sat, Oct 17 @ 2-4 pm, St. John the Divine Anglican Church, 1611 Quadra, upstairs in the sanctuary. The 28-minute documentary is about Cool Aid’s philosophy, history and services for Victorians without homes and those who are marginalized. After the film, there will be a short discussion led by Cool Aid managers. Also see below for TV airing times on Shaw Channel 11.
Art and Soul*, Oct. 17, Victoria Conservatory of Music, 7 -10 p.m. – This special evening will feature the art and music of people who have experienced homelessness, and is intended to flip the negative image of homelessness on its head for a night and celebrate the talent and creativity of unknown local artists. Admission is free.
On Sunday, Oct. 18, Faith in Action will sponsor a forum at Cadboro Bay United Church, 2625 Arbutus Road, from 2 – 4:30 pm. Addictions, Homelessness: Connecting the Dots. Presenters include Dr. Perry Kendall, BC’s chief medical health officer; Deputy Police Chief John Ducker; and Dr. Danica Gleave of the Victoria Cool Aid Society.
A panel discussion entitled Our Homelessness Crisis will also be airing on Shaw TV throughout Homelessness Action Week. Watch for it on Shaw TV – Channel 11 in Greater Victoria and on Saltspring Island at the following times:
- Saturday, October 10th at 8:30 PM
- Sunday, October 11th at 10 PM
- Monday, October 12th at noon and also at 9:30 PM
- Tuesday, October 13th at noon and also at 7 PM
- Wednesday, October 14th at noon and also at 8:30 PM
- Thursday, October 15th at noon and also at 9:30 PM
- Friday, October 16th at noon and also at 8:30 PM
- Saturday, October 17th at 8:30 PM
* The Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness is sponsoring these three events during Homelessness Action Week.