There are many things our tenants, clients and people without homes desperately need. Cool Aid passes along your gifts for free to our clients. You can read about our specific needs below.
If you have any questions or want to talk to someone about your ideas, please give Lori Angelini a call at 250-414-4799 or email langelini@CoolAid.org.
Clothing and Hygiene Supplies
Those we help always need clothing of all sizes, especially socks, towels, new underwear, blankets, sleeping bags, bus tickets and hygiene products such as shampoo, razors, toothbrushes, deodorants, etc. Other appreciated gifts include sheets and pillow cases, hats, sweaters, adult jackets in good condition, and warm, waterproof mittens or gloves. We are in special need of clothing for men.
What Our Shelter Residents Need
- Donation of nonperishable foods to give out to people that are low in groceries. Items such as: pasta, sauces, coffee, sugar, creamer, canned foods, cereals, crackers, etc.
- Underwear in various sizes/genders
- PJ’s in various sizes
- Blankets for single beds
- Warm coats
- Empty plastic containers with lids
- Yarn and knitting needles/crochet hooks
- Colouring books
- Pencil Crayons
- Bus tickets
- Phone chargers/charging blocks
- Coffee cards and mugs
- Grocery and meal cards (e.g. Tim Horton’s)
- New backpacks
- Individually-wrapped candy bars
- Water Bottles
- Sleeping Bags
Provided they are in good shape, sometimes Cool Aid can also accept furniture, electronics, kitchen items and other apartment accessories for shelter residents who have been found apartments. Unfortunately, we are unable to receive used mattresses due to health regulations.
Food and Groceries
We gladly accept pre-paid grocery store cards. Individually-wrapped treats of candies, cookies, chocolate, etc. always make a nice gift as well.
Cool Aid volunteers offer art programs at our main shelters and the Downtown Community Centre as art can be such an important component to positive change and self-expression. In order to keep this project going, we always need canvas, paint brushes, and various mediums and supplies for artistic expression.
Drop Off Locations
- Rock Bay Landing, 535 Ellice Street, 250-383-1951 (8 am to 6 pm daily)
- Sandy Merriman House for women, 809 Burdett Avenue, 250-480-1408 (anytime)
- Administration, 101-749 Pandora Avenue, 250-414-4781 (9 am to noon and 1 pm – 4:30 pm weekdays)
- Pandora Thrift Shop, 715 Pandora, 250-388-3500 (10-4 daily) – items left at the Thrift Shop will be sold
Building Homes for the Homeless
Cool Aid is in the middle of a building campaign to create 360 more apartments for people who are homeless. If you can help out with a gift of construction materials or construction labour, please be in touch with Lori Angelini, 250-414-4799 or langelini@CoolAid.org.
Your gifts may also be tax-deductible when purchase receipts and contact information are provided. Generally speaking, only new gifts accompanied by a sales receipt to substantiate value can be issued a charitable tax receipt.